- In most ISVs & Software Enabled Businesses, developers double up as testers and there is no formal testing process in place
- QA is typically given a step-motherly treatment and is looked at only when schedule and time permits
This is most likely to result in increased rework, decreased customer satisfaction, decrease in profits, loss of business, increased bug fixing costs and product recalls.
Independent testing or 3rd party testing, as it is famously called can help ISVs & Software Enabled Businesses in removing all the pains listed above.
Some of the reasons that substantiate usage of 3rd party testing are:
- Good software development practice calls for separating the development team from the testing team. This allows provision of unbiased view of the product quality and greater visibility of product issues. It also reduces direct staff costs, for the ISVs do not have to staff them internally
- Testing lifecycle goes through staffing peaks and troughs and this becomes a huge challenge for in-house testing functions, whereas 3rdparty testing companies has that flexibility
- ISV’s can save up to 40% in direct staff cost and around 20% in associated costs by outsourcing it to a 3rd party testing company
- 3rd party testing companies can help ISVs reduce their time to market with increased product quality, enhancing their competitive advantage
- Software product testing is a specialist skill, and cannot be accomplished by the developer community. It is difficult for ISVs to allocate enough funds to internally hire expert resources or train their existing resources, resulting in compromised product quality
- Partnership gives you time, flexibility, bandwidth and platform to thoroughly test your product(s)?
- 3rd party can bring IP in the form of test automation frameworks and the experience of having been there and done that for ISVs
I’d be interested in addressing any specific queries that any of the readers may have.